Saturday, May 7, 2011

Carrot Cake


When I was working in Satyam, one of my friend gave me this piece of Carrot Cake and said that I should try it since it was her mom’s Signature dish. I loved the cake for it was light, spongy and had a very unique taste. I had promised to bake it for a very long time but the time was never right. Rather I should say I didn’t have the confidence to reproduce that delicious piece of cake I ate long ago. Finally I came across quite a simple recipe in one of the cookbooks I received as a birthday gift and I knew it was time I fulfilled the promise I made long back… So here’s to you Anju for sharing your mom’s yummy carrot cake and to Dums and Viju for gifting me that very handy cookbook.

 


Ingredients
  • Flour - 2 cups
  • Carrot (Grated) - 2.5 to 3 cups
  • Eggs - 3
  • Butter - 1 cup ( 1 ½ cups oil can also be used instead of butter)
  • Cinnamon powder - 2 tsp.
  • Ginger powder - 1 tsp (optional)
  • Castor Sugar - 2 cups
  • Vanilla - 1 tsp.
  • salt - 1 tsp.
  • Baking Soda - 2 tsp.
Method
  1. Mix the Flour, Cinnamon Powder, Ginger, Baking soda and salt together.
  2. Beat the Butter with Castor sugar and Vanilla essence till you attain a fluffy consistency.
  3. Add the grated carrot to the butter mixture and beat well. We do not want lumps of carrot in the mixture.
  4. Now, Gradually add the mixture to the flour little by little and mix well.
  5. You can add chopped nuts like walnut or almonds to the mixture if you wish.
  6. Preheat the oven to 160° C
  7. Bake in a greased pan for about 30 to 40 min or till a knife inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
  8. Cool the cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then turn the cake on a turntable or plate.
  9. Serve a slice of the cake with cream …. Happy eating!!!!
Tips :
Remove the butter from the refrigerator atleast 1 to 2 hours before baking to bring it to room temperature. Don’t melt the butter in the oven or a pan.
Do not overbake the cake and lose the moist and sponginess of the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment